Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Problematic People

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those with problems and those without problems. The latter are seriously clueless or plainly in denial, for problems are just part of life. Even the Lord Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble." So, my first sentence is wrong. But it isn't the fact that life is full of strife that is on my mind today but what people do about it.

One thing I really cannot stand is when someone says, "I'm like that, that just the way I am." And uses that as an excuse. It's one thing to say, "I'm sorry, communicating isn't my greatest strength and I apologise for .... so on and so forth," but using the 'oh, that just the way I am' line as an excuse for something is just totally unacceptable to me.

So, maybe there are 3 kinds of people in the world.
1.Those who don't even realise they have weaknesses,
2. Those who realise their weaknesses and don't do anything about it, and
3. Those who realise their weaknesses and actually do something about it,

I guess the first and most important step towards anything positive is realising and acknowledging that you have a weakness and that it is a problem. Only then can one take measures to correct it, or seek help from someone who knows better.

But which category of people are worse off? Those who don't even think or know that they have a problem? Or those who know they have a problem but don't do anything about it?

Those in category 1 may not even realise the pain and suffering they are causing others by their problem, but is it really their fault? Or they put the blame on others and refuse to see that they are the ones with the problem.

Those in category 2 know that they have a problem but due to fear, procrastination, pride or indifference just fail to do anything about it. Which is worse? You tell me...

What does the Lord say after telling his disciples that they will surely have trouble in this world? He says, "But take heart! I have overcome the world." Talk about leadership by example! Not only does He save us, He has gone through it all before and promises to be with us every step of the way.

No comments: